Tuesday, April 12, 2022

A FISHING spider?

Yes, I spotted a FISHING spider in our front yard this past week! I was bent down, pulling snailseed vines, when I happened to glance at an old stump. Then I looked again.... It was a spider, so well camouflaged that I had to look AGAIN. So meet a white-banded fishing spider (Dolomedes albineus). As their common name implies, most species of this genus of spiders (Dolomedes) occur near water. But not this one. According to Bugguide.net, "Often observed on trees or on walls of man-made structures. Both D. albineus and D. tenebrosus are often observed away from water...." Needless to say, I was THRILLED to find this spider. It's a new species for my list.

Plus, this little fellow inspired me in a special way....I hope to share how someday.



No comments:

Post a Comment