Friday, May 13, 2022

Arkansas wildlife

This past week, we visited Eureka Springs, Arkansas, one of our most favorite places in the universe. One afternoon, we were cruising down a county road when I told James "STOP!" Then I jumped out of the car and helped this young turtle finish crossing the road. He seemed like he would have socialized with me for a while, but James said we needed to get out of the middle of the road, so please get back in the car. I complied. This afternoon, I looked this turtle up. He was a three-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina ssp. triunguis). So handsome! (Okay, okay, I don't know for sure whether this turtle was a guy or gal so I'm just assuming.)


Another afternoon, we were walking around town. Going down a wooden staircase, I glimpsed this skink on a step. New species to me! It's a common five-lined skink (Plestiodon fasciatus).

On yet another day, we were walking down a city street when I just barely caught James from stepping on this little guy. He's a western slimy salamander (Plethodon albagula). Naturally, I relocated my slimy friend to a safer place. (On our last day, I found an adult western slimy salamander under a garbage container.) Another new species to me!
I just had to include this photo from a past trip to Eureka. I spotted this golden-backed snipe fly (Chrysopilus thoracicus) on a storefront wall in downtown Eureka. It's one of the most beautiful flies I've ever seen!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos---thanks for sharing! I suspect the box turtle is a male with his bright colors and orange eyes, (along with his more concave plastron), looking for ladies. I was amazed at the numbers of box turtles trying to cross the road when we were up there years ago.
That metallic gold on the fly is truly stunning, and it's good to know the other small critters are hanging in there!

Post a Comment