Saturday, May 9, 2009

Our resident robin couple

In years past, I've noticed an American robin or two hanging out in our neighbors' yard down the street. Now and then, one would visit my yard. Since James and I married in 2006 and have begun to work to create a wildlife habitat here, that has changed. In the past month or so, we've observed a pair regularly foraging in our adjoining lot–which we've now christened as the Meadow. They visit our bird baths and even venture into our back yard. We think they're probably nesting in the live oak grove that shades part of the Meadow.

Yesterday, while I watered in the front yard, one stayed close to me, less than 10 feet away. It didn't seem afraid of me at all. I even wondered if it was hoping I'd give it a little shower. And I did try. But then it did scamper the other way.

Today, while I was out shooting pictures of our new garden additions, I spotted one of the robins in our back yard on the other far side, away from the Meadow. Again, it didn't seem to mind my presence at all.

I just can't help but marvel whenever I see those robins acting so at home in our Wildscape. How cool.

That's our goal, after all–to create a wildlife habitat. For everyone.

2 comments:

Town Mouse said...

I have robins come to our saucer bird bath, and after each bath, it's half empty. But they're fun to watch, and I love their song. Great photo!

Marilyn Kircus said...

I see robins here in Dripping Springs during the winter - never on my property yet, but never after early spring. There were a lot of them at the local park which was putting in new grass and watering it.

When I lived in Houston, there were reports of a few robins nesting there. A study showed that they needed a place where watering occurred consistently. I expect that is the main factor here plus I noticed I had almost no earthworms in my soil when I moved here. In my small garden area, the worms are increasing because of all the compost I've added. I bet these factors are coming into play at your place as well.

Post a Comment