Saturday, April 9, 2016

What happens when Sheryl doesn't mark a plant

So I'm walking along in the back yard last week or so, and I glance over to see a plant poking up its good-sized head through the mulch. "You look important," I told it. "But what are you?"

For the life of me, I couldn't remember! And worse, I hadn't marked it. How could I have not DONE THAT?! 

As a last resort, I looked back through blog posts from last year to see what I might have planted. Sure enough, I came across "New additions" from Sept. 27, 2015 and saw that I'd bought a butterflyweed (Asclepias tuberosa) at the Pollinator Powwow in Kerrville. O happy day! Now I remembered! I'd planted it right there where that good-sized plant head was emerging. (I stuck a temporary marker on it.)

But WAIT! According to the blog post, I'd bought a possumhaw (Ilex decidua), too? Really? For the life of me, I couldn't remember buying one, much less planting it. So where in the world was the possumhaw? Oh, YEAH! There it was, growing happily in the last new gardens we'd added. 

When I told James about the butterflyweed and possumhaw, he reacted the same way. "We have a POSSUMHAW?" he asked, completely astounded. 

"Yep, right there!" I showed him later in the gardens. "See? The sign says Possumhaw!" 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment