Friday, May 22, 2009

Ode to a paper wasp

We spotted it a few days ago, a paper wasp (Polistes metricus), clinging to the leaves of a 'Hot Lips' salvia. James wanted to put it out of its misery. I said let's not. One of its black wings looked injured, wilted, curled up somehow. I also noticed a puncture wound on its red abdomen. Poor thing. We let it be, crawling along the leaves, and thought nothing more of it.

The next day, it still clung to the salvia. I was amazed and impressed that it still survived. But again, we walked on and forgot about the poor wasp's crippled state.

Then yesterday, as we toured the Wildscape, I leaned over the turk's cap and showed James a whitish powdery mildew that had collected across some of the leaves. We mulled over the residue awhile...then I spotted a paper wasp, clinging to the leaves.....

It was our crippled friend! Right away, I saw his injured wing...

...and the puncture wound, now healed, on his abdomen. But how could this be? The same paper wasp we'd seen three days before, here, crawling and clinging to the leaves of our turk's cap....

...that stands a good 30 or so feet away from the 'Hot Lips' salvia! We were stunned. Simply stunned. And awed by his tenacity, his will to live and survive, despite his wounds and hurts, his pains. What a testimony. What a strong will to preservere!

And thus, here I write, one short ode of honor to one amazing paper wasp.

1 comment:

Country Mouse said...

Nature large and small - amazing, troubling, complex, inspiring. Wonderful shots of the wasp and a great story. I also tend to do "mercy squishing" of injured insects - I'll think twice next time.

Post a Comment