Thursday, August 12, 2010

Caterpillars and a ladybug

A few days ago, I spotted our first queen caterpillar on the butterfly weed. It was already pretty large. Then, while James and I were mulching mulching mulching Tuesday, I looked and couldn't find it. "Darn, a bird must have found it," I lamented. "So we're just raising caterpillars for the birds?"

Yesterday, however, good news! I found the caterpillar again! Figured I'd better take a photo this time. It didn't care. It was too busy chowing down.


In the back yard, I found another twice-stabbed ladybug (Chilocorus stigma). Isn't this species pretty?

I also checked on all the crimson patch (Chlosyne janais) caterpillars on the flame acanthus. They're getting BIG. So far, there is plenty of leaves still left.

No comments:

Post a Comment