Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Confession time


My intended mid-afternoon mission: shoot a photo of a little mystery plant so I could get it identified. Then I looked over and saw red admirals...lots of them....my very favorite butterfly...on the blooming Chinese privet. GROAN! As many of you probably know, Chinese privet is an invasive, not to mention against the rules if you have a Texas Wildscape. That privet has been growing here since before I moved in 10 years ago. I know, I know...no excuse. Hey, I'm confessing!

But I will tell you that James and I had just recently agreed to cut it down and replace it with a native species–rusty blackhaw viburnum (Viburnum rufidulum). I got the idea when I saw a photo on Facebook of a red admiral nectaring on a viburnum. Hopefully, Katy, a neighbor's kind granddaughter, will buy us a couple from this weekend at the Native Plant Sale at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. I'd like to let these flowers bloom first (for the butterflies), then we'll execute...I mean, we'll cut that privet down.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My intended mid-afternoon mission: shoot a photo of a little mystery plant so I could get it identified. Then I looked over and saw red admirals...lots of them....my very favorite butterfly........flowering shrubs

Post a Comment