Monday, April 2, 2012

Does it matter?

I just spent more than an hour, pulling Malta star-thistle from our Meadow. All I could think was What does it matter than I'm doing this? What does it matter?

Does it?
I pulled up more. But I saw so many little ones that we'll surely miss.

So what difference does it make?

Can anyone tell me?

So what? Cars drove by, and people looked at me, bent over in the field. Crazy lady, what's she doing, they probably thought.

I know we're doing the right thing. And that the native plants will benefit.

But more thistle will replace what we've pulled.

So what difference does it make that we even try?

Can you tell me? Do YOU even care?

BIG P.S.

I was researching star-thistle and ran across Commander Ben, The Invasive Hunter. He's a young man, 12 to 13ish, who is VERY enthusiastic about fighting invasives (and lives in the Austin area, I think). He's even got his own YouTube channel! Now THAT'S encouraging to know that young people like him CARE! Check him out! 


4 comments:

Rock rose said...

So that's what it is. thanks for the id. When I saw the name I knew at once because we are overrun with it this year, too. There are so many on our septic field that D mowed most of them down and now they are coming back even bigger. I have pulled out two bins. I would like to know the same. why in my garden I wonder as I don't see many along the roads. I hope someone comes up with the answer. Maybe the good news is , we don't have bastard cabbage, yet.

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

If you're gonna pull, do it before they flower!! Good luck!!!

Unknown said...

Yes Sheryl-we do Care!! My goodness- you are teaching us about the tremendous importance of knocking out these BAD invasive plants that rob the beautiful natives to grow.

Your introduction to "Bastard Cabbage" has been an eye-opener for us. We have a field right next to our farm with Coastal Hay growing and yesterday my husband was out there, trying to clear a path from the other side of our fence so this plant will NOT invade the Hay crop!

Thats because of your teaching us!

Yes, we do care and as always, it takes somebody who is so dedicated to our Texas Natives to guide us and teach!

Way to Go Sheryl! Maybe you need a sign that you can stick in the ground as you work that says: WOMAN AT WORK-SAVING TEXAS NATIVES! STOP AND LEND A HAND!!! THE NATIVES WILL THANK YOU...
Martha

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Thanks, Martha! You should see the piles of thistle we're accumulating! Time's running out...they'll be blooming and releasing seeds soon! Helpppppp!!!!!

Post a Comment