Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New nightshade and milkweed!

This past weekend, I attended the Texas Master Naturalist state conference at MO Ranch near Hunt, Texas. I always enjoy meeting and visiting with other Naturalists and nature experts. For instance, I got to see my friend, wildlife biologist Ricky Linex, who's with the Natural Resources Conservation Service. Saturday morning, I took his "Plant ID by Family Association" class. As part of his program, he had rooted specimens of a mystery species that we keyed out as a class. They turned out to be Texas nightshade. You might guess what I was wishing and hoping...

"If any of y'all want to take these home, go right ahead," Ricky drawled. (I LOVE to him talk...his accent is REAL TEXAN.) "Just plant'em, and they should take off."  

Oh, happy day! I INSTANTLY raised my hand! Needless to say, I bagged three nightshades with roots.

At the conference's silent auction, someone brought native plants, including four species of milkweed. (Another "Oh, happy day!") We already have antelope horn in our Meadow but not swamp, slim or green. I jotted down a bid for each. Later, another lady outbid me on all of them. Hmmm. I didn't want to be mean. Maybe I should just concentrate on "winning" one? So back in my room, I checked out the three species online and learned that only green milkweed (Asclepias viridis) occurs in our area. Long story short, I got to take home my green milkweed baby! 



I planted all my new friends yesterday in our Wildscape. Welcome to our home, y'all! And thank you, Ricky!


2 comments:

TexasDeb said...

New plant babies! Always exciting. I've got seed for Antelope Horn milkweed to cold stratify and try to establish this coming winter/spring. Any hints?

TexasDeb said...

Oh! I forgot! The new look of your site is nice - great work!

Post a Comment