Friday, September 30, 2016

Hornworm saga continues


The saga continues. I happened to be at the right place at the right time. This afternoon, I saw one of our two remaining hornworms leave the tomato plant. So I went for my camera. Of course. I decided to shoot both photos and short videos so I could share what I observed. I mean, haven't you ALWAYS wondered what tomato hornworms might do if no one squashed them Well, wonder no more. If you watch the videos (they're just blips–I promise!)

One big baby!

I happened to find the wounded hornworm that I noticed earlier today still on the tomato plant. Poor thing. It was still moving when the wasps were feeding on it. Nature can be so violent and gruesome.

"I'm just a stem. You don't see anything." --Other surviving hornworm.

The journey has barely begun.



Right through the horseherb jungle.



The hornworm finally stopped among another clumb of horseherb.
I marked its location well! From 4:15 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., I watched the hornworm travel through our back yard. At 7:15 p.m., I just now checked, and the hornworm was still there. I'll check again tonight and first thing in the morning. Stay tuned

Epilogue
Here's the last video I shot that evening. Plus another photo of the poor hornworm that was completely eaten up by the wasps. I did indeed check on the traveling hornworm about 9 p.m., and it was still there amid the horseherb. However, the next morning, I couldn't find it burrowed near where I'd left it. So, alas, I don't know where the caterpillar ended up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment