Friday, November 30, 2018

Beware the dastardly ligustrum

I've hated despicable wax-leaf ligustrum (Ligustrum japonicum) since I was a kid. And that was even before I learned how invasive this terrible species can be. Back then, my father–like a lot of homeowners in the 1960s–planted them around our yard in Corpus Christi. Several times a year, Dad hedged them, and we kids had to carry the leggy trimmings across the street to a vacant lot. Oh, how I hated yard work and THEM! 

Fast forward to now, and I'm extremely aggravated with horrible ligustrums because they're sprouting EVERYWHERE in our Wildscape. I think the recent abundant rains must have provided optimum germinating conditions for the heinous seeds. At any rate, I'm pulling as many as I can as fast as I can.




They're pretty darn good at blending into other foliage. Can you spot the wicked ligustrum in the grouping above?
 There it is.
Going, going.....
At LEAST reprehensible wax-leaf ligustrums are easy and effortless to yank up. That's the ONLY good thing about 'em!
GONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment