Friday, July 14, 2023

Do beetles have noses?

Short answer: No. 

Long answer: Instead of noses, insects have an ability called hygrosensation that enables them to sense a variation in humidity.

I pondered that question after spotting yet ANOTHER click beetle headed in the direction of our air conditioner drip bucket. Usually, they're already IN the bucket by the time I arrive. And because we've had so many beetles, spiders and other critters get trapped, I finally rigged a raft to prevent fatalities. It works! At any rate, this beetle was clambering on the brick exterior of our house. Nice me decided to help out. I scooped him up and dropped him on the raft. Right away, he started drinking. At least, that's what I assumed he was doing. Which made me ask my question...

Do beetles have noses?

Here's one interesting answer I found on Reddit (I wish I knew the author's name): Can any creatures smell water? Always learning!



He's done drinking!

No comments:

Post a Comment