Monday, July 17, 2023

Knock, knock (Part 2)

[Disclaimer: Read blog post "Something's not right– Part 1" FIRST.]


Folks, the oddest thing happened this morning. Someone knocked at our front door. Image my surprise when I saw the BLANCO MAYOR standing on our porch!

* * *

Mayor: "Good morning, ma'am. Sorry to bother you, but I'm here on official business. It's been reported that you have an abundance of [cough, cough] moonscapes in your yard?"

Me: Moonscapes? 

Mayor: Yes, ma'am. That's what I was told. 

Me: Hmmm, moonscapes. [Scratches chin] Who told you that?

Mayor: I'm not at liberty to say, ma'am. [Whispers] Top secret, ma'am.

Me: Oh, okay. Moonscapes, hmmm–

Mayor: [Nods]

Me: OH, YEAH! Of COURSE!

Mayor: Yes, yes? Don't keep me on pins and needles, ma'am.

Me: Those are ANTLION DENS–

Mayor: Ants? Lions? Dens? [looks aghast]

Me: [SMILES] Oh, yes. Don't worry, they're quite harmless and quite cool. Come on in. [Holds door open] I'll tell you all about them. How about some sweet tea?

Mayor: Well, that sounds lovely, ma'am. But hold on – I gotta call The President back. Oops!– [Covers mouth with hand]

Me: THE PRESIDENT–?!

* * * 

Antlions (Myrmeleon sp.)

 

Above: A juvenile bug fell into a den this morning in our front yard.

 

Above: That same bug somehow escapes into the cone while the antlion continues to knock out dirt. 

This summer's extreme heat and dry conditions have apparently boosted the number of antlion larvae in our yard. This morning, as I sidestepped as many dens as I could, I thought how communities of their upside-down cones reminded me of the moon. Moonscapes, I thought. And a fun idea was born.... 

Check out these antlion videos:

Antlion Death Trap

This Antlion is a Devious, Cold-Blooded Killer

Antlion Traps and Devours Victim

From larva...

...to adult!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the story! Such the imagination...

Post a Comment