Friday, July 14, 2023

The Flies of Texas



After nearly two years in the works, my article, "The Flies of Texas," has been published in July 2023 issue of Texas Parks & Wildlife. According to my mother, who's kept meticulous notes from the start, this is my 115th article for the publication. My first stories were published in 1989 under then editor David Baxter, who gave me my first shots at magazine writing. Thank you, Mr. Baxter! (I recently wrote him a personal note.)

To date, I've documented 115 fly species in our yard using iNaturalist. Here are just a few of my fly images that didn't make the issue...

Cactus fly

Geron sp.

Fruit fly Trupanea sp.

Elephant mosquito

Eastern hornet fly

Clubbed mydas flies (making more)

Bicolored plushback

Australian sheep blow fly
Robbery fly (Efferia sp.) with fly cuisine

No comments:

Post a Comment