Sunday, May 30, 2010

Bee swarm

Now you see them. Now you don't!

I was surveying the front Wildscape a while ago and kept hearing a low, droning sound. I looked in among the crape myrtle branches. Nothing. I around the butterfly bush. Nothing. Then I looked up. A cloud of bees spiraled over the street, in and around the live oak branches up high. I walked around to get a better look. Oh, my! LOTS of bees! And they apparently were going into a hole in the live oak. I went inside to get my camera, wondering if I should contact anyone. I'd just read a newspaper article this morning about dogs that were stung and killed by bees outside of San Antonio. I know and understand that we need bees in our yards. I WANT them here! But I also don't want anyone to get hurt either, and these bees were swarming right over a city street.

I returned outside just a few minutes later with my camera, and the swarm was GONE. Just a few bees buzzed around the hole. Hmmm. I'm going to keep an eye on them today.


No comments:

Post a Comment