Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Miscellaneous observations and plants


I'd been wanting some a cool native plant for our Wildscape so I walked along a neighborhood street this evening and found a patch not far from our house. Linda C. was driving by while I was in the search stage of my mission.

"What are you doing, Sheryl?" she asked curiously.

"Well," I confessed sheepishly, "I'm looking for some sensitive briar. It's a neat plant. When you touch the leaves, they close up. I like to show it to kids." Linda just smiled and shook her head.

So I did dig some up and plant it in our Wildscape. Some of the stems have blooms about to flower. The flowers are puffy little pink things.

Sensitive briar (Mimosa microphylla)

Sensitive briar flower buds

Pink skullcap
We planted this in a front bed several years ago, and the salvias were crowding it out. So I scooped it up yesterday and gave it a new home in the back yard.
Now it has plenty of room to grow.

Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)
A volunteer native vine in the back yard. Last year, the drought discouraged
it from even appearing. But it came back this spring.

Look–a spider eggsac on the African milk tree (a potted nonnative succulent
that my Uncle Dudley gave me in 2002).

No comments:

Post a Comment