Friday, May 8, 2015

Mason County treasures continued

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1046158So here's an update to my March 21, 2015, post, "Mason County treasures." You may recall that I found some interesting pebble-topped structures in a dry creekbed on a private ranch. In the meantime, the images I submitted to Bugguide.net at first were "frassed" (trashed), then archived under "Unidentified spider egg sacs, webs, and retreats."

Then this week, Charley Eiseman, who co-authored Tracks & Signs of Insects and Other Invertebrates, let me know that he'd posted my images on his blog: "Turrets topped with pebbles." Several experts have already weighed in and suggested that the structures were probably created by erosion. Interesting, eh? 

3 comments:

TexasDeb said...

Huh! Take that, Utah. These may be small now, but watch out Bryce Canyon.

Rock rose said...

So not a critter after all. Need a geologists input on that.

Anonymous said...

That's funny

Post a Comment