Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Welcome, Central Texas Gardener!


In the wake of all the horrific flooding here in Blanco County, Linda Lehmusvirta and her crew from "Central Texas Gardener" program (KLRU-PBS, Austin) braved the weather and drove out to Blanco to visit with us about our Texas Wildscape and tour our native gardens. Everything started out pretty well. Gray, cloudy skies actually make for better shots.

While Ed Fuentes (CTG director and director of photography, also technical director for "Austin City Limits") and Mark Morrow (audio and lighting, also a camera operator and producer of KLRU's "Strange Town") unloaded the camera and gear, James and I hammed it up next to their cool Suburban. Colorful, eh?

Then they wanted shots and film of the Meadow. As we were "strolling" through the flowers (yikes, they were THICK!), I happened onto a snowberry clearwing moth, just freshly emerged from its cocoon. Needless to say, I was QUITE excited (though I don't look so much in Linda's photo). I was hoping to share my find with Linda, but it flew away just before we finished our stroll.
From the Meadow and front yard, we moved to the back yard, where Linda scouted out shots, and Ed and Mark filmed. Then the weather began to change....
By this time, the dark skies I'd been watching toward the east were now approaching. Dang it. A light shower soon turned into a heavy rain. I went inside for towels. With no end in sight, Linda and Ed voted to take our outdoor, sit-down interview inside to our dining room. After a quick blow dry of my bangs and shirt, we were ready to chat.
 
(We don't know yet when our segment will air, but now you know I was barefoot while on camera.)
Toward the end of our interview, thunder boomed. Great, wonderful. After we wrapped up, the phone rang. It was a reverse 9-1-1 call! TORNADO WARNING! Ed and Mark were outside, getting last-minute shots. Thankfully, though, the tornado moved northeast ward and dissipated. As far as I know, no one was hurt. (Later, the ladies at the Blanco National Bank told me that, as soon as the warning was issued, they all sheltered in the bank vault.)
All said, the five of us shared an exciting morning that we won't forget. Thank you, Linda, Ed and Mark! Come on back to Blanco any time! That is, if you dare!

7 comments:

Rock rose said...

So glad the weather didn't spoil your day. Linda and Ed are used to doing the show rain or shine. Look forward to seeing you on the box.

TexasDeb said...

When I ran across the CTG crew filming my city hall's waterwise garden recently, they mentioned they were scheduled to film your spaces later this month, and I wondered if they'd managed to get to you before the weather took such a nasty turn. I'm so glad they made it despite recent rains and even happier you are all safe and sound. I'm going to be grinning the whole time I watch, especially knowing you were barefoot under that table. Can't wait!

Melody said...

How exciting that you and James will be on CTG soon! Can't wait to see the segment. I never miss one of the shows because I always learn so much from watching it. Linda and the crew are coming to the Warrior and Family Support Center on June 11th where I volunteer garden and we are trying to get the gardens all spruced up before then. With all of the rain it seems like we do more weed pulling and pruning than ever before. Thanks again for your informative blog! I look forward to seeing ya'll on CTG too!

Linda Lehmusvirta said...

How precious! We ALL loved you and James and your beautiful garden. Thanks for all those towels, too. Great day, really.

Steph@RamblingWren said...

I'm sure you guys did a fantastic job! Can't wait to see the segment on CTG. With all the recent rains, I bet your garden and meadow look wonderful. That is one brave CTG crew to make the trip with all the flooding we have been having.

Unknown said...

Amazing you could pull it off. Terrific.

Unknown said...

Amazing you could pull if off. Terrific.

Post a Comment