Friday, May 1, 2015

Time to review our butterflies


Okay, it's time to review what we learned a few summers ago. Is this is painted lady? Or an American lady?

I don't remember the difference.

So I'm going to go back to a past post of mine: "Hot dog–we've got American AND painted ladies!" Hang on while I read....

Ah, HA! It's about the EYESPOTS! The above butterfly is an AMERICAN LADY because it has two eyespots.

Painted ladies have four eyespots.

Now let's see if I can remember the difference for the rest of this season. 

2 comments:

TexasDeb said...

You have me going back to an earlier post of mine this year and I'm pretty sure I got it right (Painted Lady) but I didn't get such clear shots of the underwings so as usual, my ID choice is called a bit into question. At least I could tell the difference between the Lady and the Red Admiral! (Cue song from An Officer and a Gentleman!) Happy Butterfly spotting!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

Don't you wish everything we learn STAYS THERE in our head? :-)

Post a Comment