Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Milkweed inventory 2016

Last year, I posted an extensive milkweed inventory, which I thought might be a good way to keep track of what we've got growing in our Wildscape. Well, earlier this month (May 6), I finally got around to marking and counting antelope horns (I use tongue depressors). But after that, I gave up. For one thing, our crop of Indian blankets are WAY too thick to make a complete count of antelope horns and purple milkweed vines in the Meadow. But I did get up to 14 antelope horns, which is a slight increase of maybe three over last year. 

Below are photos of a healthy zizotes milkweed that grows on our neighbor's side of the Meadow. I'm working on getting the species started on our side.

No comments:

Post a Comment