Monday, May 23, 2016

Sorry about that!

Yesterday afternoon, I planted some freebie cedar sages in the front yard. On my first pass around this flower bed, I didn't notice anything. But on my second loop, I DID. Look closer, and you might, too. 
Yes! I spotted a female Texas spiny lizard in the process of laying eggs in a nice-sized burrow she'd dug. She was NOT happy to see me. As you can tell by her irritated expression in the photos.
I guess she finished depositing her last egg because, suddenly, she scurried away as fast as she could. I felt bad. I didn't mean to scare her, but I did. Inside the hole, I counted at least nine eggs. I checked back discreetly a few times, and she'd returned. I was careful not to startle or bother her. The last time I looked, she was gone, and the hole was neatly covered up. James says the little ones should hatch in 21 days. If I can remember, I'll check the site about then. Little spiny lizards are so cute.

2 comments:

Shirley/Rock-Oak-Deer said...

How cool to see that. When they don't scurry away it's a clue something is going on. I spotted an anole laying eggs in a pot. The little ones are so cute!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

I miss our anoles. I haven't seen one around here in a couple of years.

Post a Comment