Tuesday, October 5, 2010

New caterpillar children and a new host plant


So today, I ran into a big writer's block and couldn't get any work done on an assignment. So James and I visited Blanco Gardens and bought a few plants. After we'd paid, Cheryl asked if we had any parsley because she had some caterpillars that she needed to pick (and get rid of). Curious, I asked to see them. Well, long story short, we went home with three new rue plants...complete with caterpillar children. They're black swallowtails (Papilio polyxenes). And I learned something new....

Tiny black swallowtails start out looking like this (below)....

By their fourth or fifth instar, they look completely different (below).... I'd thought I had two different species. Nope!


I found this little guy on a passionflower leaf but haven't figured out what it is yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment