Sunday, October 6, 2013

Back yard spider update



Our yellow garden spider (Argiope aurantia) mama has now laid her second egg sac. She's the one who moved twice in the back yard and ended up near the bird bath (by my office window) that's surrounded by lantana and salvias. 

She laid her first egg sac (above) on the brick wall on our house. I wasn't too impressed with her choice of location. Yesterday, I noticed her gone from her web. Her abdomen had gotten pretty big so I knew she was due any day. I looked around and, sure enough, there she was, up on the house siding, guarding her brand new egg sac. Again, I was not impressed with her second location either. 

This winter, I'll the do the best I can at watching over the sacs. The spider mama in the front yard laid (more like hid) two of hers in the crepe myrtle. We did haven't found her third one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment