Sunday, October 6, 2013

Never too old

Today, we took off for the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. Time for their fall native plant sale! After we bought plants and hiked the wonderful trails, we stopped by the "How to make an eco-pot" activity for kids. Yes, I stood in line for my turn. Well, the volunteers said I could!

 I watched from afar so I'd had an idea of what to do when it was my turn. 
Mamie, a volunteer at the center, showed me how to roll a wide strip of newspaper into a pot, using a wooden "pot maker" (like one here). Pretty simple! Except it took me a couple of tries to get the knack. If you roll the paper too tight (like I did), the pot won't come off the wooden shaper. But I did succeed in making an eco-friendly transplant pot. I chose a tiny Salvia coccinea 'White' to plant inside it.
See? You're never too old to learn something new...or sneak some fun at the kids' booth! 

I've ordered my own Paper Pot Maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment