Thursday, April 30, 2015

I give UP

That's it. 

No more. 

I give up.

I give in. 

I throw in the towel.

I quit.

I can't take it any more.

I just took down our purple martin house and found a sparrow nest in one of the four gourds that we hung underneath it. The nest is too far along. There are baby sparrows in it. I cannot kill them. Nor will I ask James to do it. All this season, we didn't even have ONE martin fly by and check out the house, like they've done in the past. 

So, after seven years, I give UP.

At some point, I'll put my purple martin set-up on Craigslist, I guess. Complete with predator guards and sparrow traps.

And white gourds.

Guess I'll go count milkweeds now..... 

1 comment:

TexasDeb said...

Milkweed! I've tried transplanting and then tried growing antelope milkweed from seed several seasons in several places, using every method I can find and no luck. The tuberosa plants I put in earlier this spring are barely hanging in there. Surrounded by flowering natives that seem to think this is the Jackpot! year, I'm not sure they put on a single new leaf since they arrived.

Maybe I should try my hand at Martin Houses? : )

Post a Comment