Saturday, April 18, 2015

New additions



From the plant sale today at Kerrville's Riverside Nature center: 

Cory's pipevine (Aristolochia coryi)
Dutchman breeches (Thamnosma texana)
Snakeroot pipevine (Aristolochia serpentaria)
Square-bud primrose (Calylophus berlandieri)


Oh, I couldn't resist the beautiful gallon of primroses! And the other three are host plants for swallowtail butterflies. AND I'm pretty sure I snagged a volunteer baby antelope horn (milkweed) along with the Dutchman breeches (photo below). O happy day!


2 comments:

TexasDeb said...

As we were watching the storms bringing hail rolling across the hill county last night (and they sure enough hit here, just west of town), I was hoping your new plants were all either under cover or at least spared the worst of the damage.

This year I tried to germinate antelope milkweed seed, following some very specific instructions, with no results. I'm pretty sure that is the only way I'll ever get any - with luck!

Sheryl Smith-Rodgers said...

You know, those antelope seeds still might come up. Don't give up. But I'd understand if you have. Mother Nature has far more patience than we do! We had a little damage from the hail and winds but it could have been far worse. Thank you for your concern! :-)

Post a Comment