Friday, April 7, 2017

Another native plant sale!

Once again, James had to work. Which left me again on my own and unsupervised at a native plant sale. He's a trusting husband, isn't he? Today is the members-only preview sale at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin. We've been to regular sales in the past but never to a members only. This spring, the sale  only runs today and tomorrow.
I was curious about what the crowd would be like first thing in the morning. I arrived about 10 minutes before the 9 a.m. sale start. La Crosse Avenue, which leads to the center, was already getting full of parked cars. I decided I'd try to find a spot in the center's parking lot. I did! I was QUITE happy about that. After getting my orange MEMBER sticker, I got in line with others members who were waiting for the sale to open. I ended up chatting with a guy behind me from Austin. He was hoping to buy a madrone. Oh, well, did I know something about THAT! I told him about Mike Prochoroff and his madrones at the Madrone Way. Plus I gave him my card so he could check out my post about planting our madrone child.
Then off we went to explore tables and tables and tables of plants plants plants! Once again, I was restrained and didn't buy but a few plants. I was saddened to miss out on purchasing a gray globe mallow (ours has died, I think) because I waited too long, and they sold out.
At the Native Plant Society of Texas's booth, I spotted my new friend Paul and waved him over. I'd spotted some of Mike madrones there! Paul quickly and happily snagged one (that's him above, holding and hugging his madrone). God always puts us where we're suppose to be!

Before heading home, I wandered around the grounds for a little bit. Might as well, right? It was a beautiful morning.

I don't remember seeing this plant tag before. Even POISON IVY, definitely a native vine, deserves a bit of recognition.

No comments:

Post a Comment